The Web of Cells and alternative Concepts – New Architectures for the Grid of the Future
After the successful first edition of the Joint Technical Workshop in 2014, held in Cooperation between ELECTRA IRP and Working Group 1 of the ETP SmartGrids, on 10th December, 2015, the 2nd Joint Technical Workshop took place in Brussels. The full-day event brought together more than 30 Smartgrids experts and focused on presenting the Web of Cells concept and challenging it with other alternative architectures for the future grid. The presented approaches were the following:
- The grid of 2035+: Why do we need new architectures? - Helfried Brunner (AIT, ELECTRA)
- The Web of Cells Concept - Chris Caerts (VITO, ELECTRA)
- EvolvDSO project - Daan Six, VITO
- Grid4EU project - Ilaria Losa, RSE
- IDE4L project - Andrea Angioni, Aachen RWTH University
- Future Network Management Systems: A Centralised Approach - Luis Ochoa, The University of Manchester
- Network Control solutions based on an Edge Computing Architecture: Paving the way towards the Web of Cells - Eloy Gonzalez and Leonardo Benitez, INDRA
- FractalGrid: An innovative Project for future Smartgrid Architectures based on multiscale and fractal Modelling - Nicolas Retiere, INP Grenoble and Georges Kariniotakis, MINES ParisTech
- The multi-energy systems dimension in the Web of Cells concept - Pierluigi Mancarella, The University of Manchester
- The Web of Cells and alterna1ve Concepts, Implementation Challenges - Goran Strbac, Imperial College, London
The presentations of the concepts were followed by lively discussions among the participating experts in the afternoon. Find here the workshop agenda, flyer and the participants' list.
A summary of the workshop outcome is available here.